- Save & sacrifice. It’s never too early to start saving for adoption. Try to cut back your budget to set a portion of money aside each month to pay for some of the initial adoption costs, like home study and application fees. Make sacrifices as God moves you, maybe that’s postponing a big purchase or selling some of your possessions.
- Learn from others. In her must-read book, Adopting Without Debt, Julie Gumm shares how to find extra money in your household budget, apply for grants, and fundraise in order to build your family without saddling it with debt.
- Apply for Adoption Grants & Loans. Research and apply for national, state, and local adoption grants. A few favorites we direct families to are our friends at Show Hope & Abba Fund. See Resource Report for more grants & loans available and don’t forget to check out our adoption grant & loan page.
- Think outside the box. The fundraising creativity of adoptive families continues to grow. Check out organizations like Both Hands, who help families fundraise for adoption while doing a service project for a widow. Other groups like 147 Million Orphans & MudLOVE provide jewelry, t-shirts, and other products you can use towards fundraising.
- Don’t be afraid to ask. Maybe the word “fundraise” and the thought of asking people for money makes you nervous. WATCH the video below to see how God moved in this couple’s heart to show them adoption was so much bigger than their family.
This post is part of the Adoption Journey Series. See previous post, “Adoption: 3 Ways to Prepare for the Journey” here.
While nearly two in five practicing Christians have considered adoption, only 5% have actually done it.* What keeps people from growing their families through adoption?
One of the biggest barriers to adoption is the cost. Depending on the circumstances, adoption can cost up to $50,000! It makes sense why many families who have a heart for vulnerable children, look at adoption as something they desire, but is just too hard to grasp because of the high costs.
We have families who have seen God perform miracles as they have stepped out in faithfulness to follow His call for their family…if it’s His will, it’s His bill. He will make a way to show Himself as THE Provider of all things. Don’t let money stand in the way, when He has provided many avenues for families to bridge that financial gap.
Here are few tips and resources for funding an adoption…
Sharing with holleygerth.com today and Sometimes sharing with these friends