We are back for part two, following a post on why I don’t have it all together and you don’t have to either.
Do you ever find yourself surprisingly comforted reading about what it really looks like inside someone else’s life? I love seeing what things are really like for someone else, and remembering I’m not alone in my imperfections! So my goal is to provide the same here and show you all the ways I don’t have it all together and hopefully remind you that you don’t have to either.
Here’s what it’s really like to be me lately:
- I’m getting so distracted by the big things, I’m letting ALOT of little things slip.
- I am not keeping up with friends like I want & need to.
- I almost never have any less than 2-3 dozen tabs open on my computer at any given time.
- I’ve been way too excited to sleep, what with all the work & plans, dreaming & scheming going on around here. There always seems to be more important things to do than sleep, but this has done more than increase my productivity level. It’s also decreased my general efficiency and probably health and cognition level 😉
- I’ve stopped exercising anywhere near as much as I need and want to.
- I am sometimes showering every two or three days lately. This hasn’t happened since I had a newborn in the house. See #5 here. Yep that’s me! And I’m doing it to myself …. Can you relate?
- I’ve dropped more balls than I’d like to admit when it comes to juggling details of my kids’ lives and their schedules.
- I’ve had a handful of really important tasks on my to-do list that just keep returning, day after day after day! Yep, my to-do list is often Just. Like. Groundhogs. Day.
- My phone’s voicemail is almost always at or over capacity these days.
- I have let my standards of clean relax ALOT lately to get more done in other ways.
- My car is usually littered with evidence of a life on-the-go, especially the back seat. Ahem. Kids! Enough said. I may have resorted to hoping it will clean itself while I’m busy doing everything else! 😉
- There have been times in the last few days I’ve been so tired and bleary-eyed, I’ll swear I recognize someone out & about, smile and wave only to find out it’s not at all who I thought it was. True story. Or go through a drive-thru and keep sitting and waiting even after receiving my order. Whattt? Now, that was a first!
- I’m having one of those ‘milestone’ birthdays in about a week, and I’m still trying to figure out just how I feel about it. Cause right now, not only can I not believe it, but I’m not so excited about it – but I’m also not thrilled about not being thrilled about it. HA 😉
I sometimes succumb to convincing myself that other women have it all together. Sometimes it feels like they know something I don’t and I’d give anything to figure out how they ‘get it all done’ and still manage to eat healthy, stay in shape, manage their homes, connect with their spouses, and take care of their kids.
But deep down?
I know the truth is every single person I look at and think she’s got it all figured out could actually list so many ways she’s really a work in progress too. We may not always get a window into other women’s lives, but I hope taking this peek into mine has reminded you that you are not alone. You are in good company being perfectly imperfect. One of my favorite authors, Brene Brown said it this way, “Imperfections are not inadequacies; they are reminders that we’re all in this together.”
This life is come as you are. So let us show up each day ready to do what we can do and ready to let go of what we can’t do. And when we forget? His mercies are new every morning, and His grace never runs out!
So, tell me! Can you relate? What experience or insight do you have to share?